Pages

Friday, September 10, 2010

making a crafty envelope

A few days ago I viewed a really great idea on C.R.A.F.T. for making homemade envelopes out of magazine pages. After seeing just how easy it is to do, I decided to give it a go. I'll provide a little tutorial (with pictures) if you are also interested in doing something like this.

First, gather pages from magazines that inspire you, are beautiful, or would just simply look really darned awesome in your favorite pen pal's inbox mailbox (hard to think of mail in the physical sense isn't it?).



Choose one sheet to start with, and get out your glue stick.



Turn the page over so the "ugly" side is up, and fold all sides over 1/4 inch.



Now choose which side you want to be visible (the side with the addresses and stamp), and fold the paper up so that there is 1.5 inches at the top (for a flap).




Now fold that flap over




And fold little triangles into the flap so that it looks like an authentic envelope (this step could easily be skipped)




Now all thats left is to glue the sides together




And this is what you are left with:



Isn't that cute!! Really the only issue going forward will be coming up with a label that doesn't completely ruin the picture.

I sort of had an assembly line going, and altered each envelope in all sorts of ways (shape, size) according to what picture I wanted on the front.







See those little birds in the background? Bird pairs are the theme of 2010. Tom's sister Jamie got me those pretty glass blues above, and my sister got me these super cute owls:




Now how to get your hands on one of these beautiful envelopes (besides making your own of course)? Send me your address! I'll send you a little letter in one of these handmade envelopes (it only took me about 15 minutes to make all these envelopes by the way). Happy crafting!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...