Pages

Sunday, January 2, 2011

A New Cookbook

My sister Lisa gave me a Visa gift card for my birthday, along with instructions to use it on something frivolous. Anthropologie automatically popped into my head. Why? Number one because I love anthro, number two because I never go there unless I have some sort of gift card, and number three because some of their products represent the very definition of frivolous. After all, can you imagine ever spending $168 on this little guy? Me neither.

In the end, I decided to spend the money on a new cookbook. I never buy cookbooks because I get my recipes online, but went for it anyway because I've been wanting to read an entire cookbook beginning to end (think Julie and Julia) and because I found a list of the best cookbooks of 2010 on the site flashlight worthy (best site ever for finding a perfect book).

After spending entirely too much time in the book store (is such a thing even possible?), I walked away with In the Kitchen with A Good Appetite by Melissa Clark.


I normally don't even pick up cookbooks without pictures (this one doesn't have them), but the delicious writing seems to more than make up for it.

Case in point: the chapter with the recipe for Buttery Polenta with Parmesan and Olive Oil-Fried Eggs begins with this paragraph:

The first best thing about adulthood is being able to order three desserts for two people. The second is having breakfast for dinner whenever the urge for pancakes pulls harder than pork chops.
Amen, sister.

3 comments:

  1. Love it! If there was anyone who could make the most of a wonderful cookbook, it's you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am LOVING reading your blog entries i've missed!!! this cookbook sounds great--i can't wait to hear more about your exploits with it!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...