Pages

Monday, December 5, 2011

taking a stand against procrastination

I am the queen of procrastination. I even procrastinate on the things that I really want to be doing - reading, knitting, cooking. Why? For some reason, unless I have several hours of time dedicated to a specific task, I feel that I don't have enough time to do it. In reality, I have a lot of 20 minute blocks of time when I could read a book, or an hour at home without much to do where I could be knitting.

Perhaps I'm just lazy.

I wouldn't mind being such a procrastinator, except for the fact that there are so many things that I would like to be doing with my time. I have a lot of projects in my mind, and so many things that I want to be. [Which is probably the real reason that I procrastinate. I start many many projects, but don't finish because I get sidetracked with something else.] So I have decided that each month I'll choose a few things to accomplish during that month. Help me direct my thoughts and energies just a wee bit.

************************

December

To Read: Everything I Want to Do is Illegal: war stories from the local food front.

A friend gave me this book shortly after I moved to Atlanta, and I've been meaning to read it ever since. Government regulations and programs - when intelligently designed and rationally imposed - save lives (medical device standards), provides opportunity (libraries!), and keep life moving smoothly (DOT - though perhaps this one is debatable :). But then there are some regulations that I will never begin to understand. And a lot of those center around the laws that small local farmers must follow. I don't claim to be an expert about - or even have a good grasp on - these regulations, but I'm really fired up about this issue and am excited to read this book. Plus, imagine the looks I'll get from people when they see the title of my book.

To Create: I actually can't list a lot of my projects for this month (since they are Christmas gifts), but there are a few other things I want to complete.

Embroider my pillowcase using this lovely little pattern. It looks simple (though maybe not?), is just the sort of whimsical design that I love, and shouldn't take me too long to complete. I've never embroidered anything before, and this looks like a fine place to start.

Finish the pants that I started for my friend's baby. The pants are actually already done, I just need to hem them and add an elastic waistband.

To Do: Spa Day/DIY Beauty

Laura sent me this link a week ago, and I'm going to try out all three. I already have all of the materials (and I'm sure you do too), and it will be nice to relax and focus on my self for an hour or so.

To Do: Go to Church

I absolutely love my church, and I haven't been in so long that I probably can't say that it is "mine" any longer. But this month I will try to go once.

hmmmm, looks like the sermon this week is about John Stewart and Stephen Colbert. This is the Sunday to go I think!

To Do: Look at Lights

Every year, I tell Tom that I'd like to go look at some lights around Atlanta. This year, I'm putting it on the list! I've heard that some of the best are the Lights of Life at Life University. But perhaps we'll take a little drive to Callaway Gardens for their light display. Of course, if you are in Maine perhaps you should trek to Burnham and see the Burnham Lights. It's a really impressive light show.

To Cook: Bread  **Completed on 12/6/2011

Oh, how I adore homemade bread. Warm and fresh out of the oven, a little butter on top.... This month I'm going to try out this Light Oat Bread Recipe. Read the first comment under the recipe for non-bread machine instructions if you want to try it out too.

***********************

Well, there it is! Hopefully this month I'll get something done rather than whiling away my time on Pinterest or Facebook or some other such nonsense....

Fun December Fact: I've decided to drive to Maine with Barley for Christmas again! Let's hope that a blizzard doesn't come in, shut down all major interstates, and strand so many cars that the National Guard has to come in and rescue folks.

Yes, this happened to me two years ago.

Yes, two years is long enough to forget such a horrible event and think that attempting it again is a good idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...