Pages

Saturday, January 28, 2012

Feeling Southern: Saturday

What a delicious Saturday (already, at 9:20am). When a day is entirely mine, I am always happy with what I might fill it with.

Barley is playing outside in the backyard - most likely digging holes that I will have to fill later. It is 42 degrees outside, though was much colder when I first woke up. I wrote in my journal for 30 minutes (which I am trying very hard to do every day). I am drinking coffee with cinnamon in it (my favorite morning treat) and listening to the Buena Vista Social Club station on Pandora. Besides adoring the music, I like this station because I can't understand the commercials (they are all in Spanish) or the music (also, as you can imagine, in Spanish), which makes a wonderful backdrop when you are reading a book. I am thankful that my college roommate Laura introduced me to BVSC, because their music makes you feel alive in your gut, much like really good bluegrass and anything by the lovely Etta James does.

The book, and my quite old journal (I have promised myself a pretty one after I finish this one, which was originally intended to be a Chemistry lab notebook).
I have just started Of Love and Other Demons by Gabriel Garcia Marquez (he wrote Love in the Time of Cholera and One Hundred Years of Solitude). I haven't gotten very far in the book, but I am already drawn into it and will be sure to tell you if it is a good read or not.

Between the Cuban music and the Colombian book, I am feeling very Southern indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...