Pages

Sunday, November 21, 2010

sunday cookies and crafts

I love Sundays. I mean, they can be kind of depressing, as Johnny Cash described in Sunday Morning Coming Down.

"On a Sunday morning sidewalk,
I'm wishing, Lord, that I was stoned.
'Cause there's something in a Sunday
That makes a body feel alone.
And there's nothing short a' dying
That's half as lonesome as the sound
Of the sleeping city sidewalk
And Sunday morning coming down."
But then again, there is also something fresh and rejuvenating about a Sunday. Especially when you add a craft and a recipe to the mix!



First things first, make these cookies. Seriously, goodness abounds and they made me supremely happy. I kept two for me and two for Tom, and am mailing the others off to some quite lucky souls. I'm pretty glad they are going to be included in my care packages, because if not I would be tempted to eat the whole lot. I followed the recipe to a T, except that I used vanilla extract instead of brandy. Also, because this is what I had on hand, I used orange flavored dried cranberries. These cookies taste just like I would imagine a holiday to taste, so these are a good (and simple!) idea for your next holiday party. White chocolate cranberry goodness:


Second, go here and print out this cute little Thanksgiving printout. Put in a frame. Hang. Enjoy. I really really like how Jessica put it in a frame with white matting (is that a word?), but this green frame is all I could find at the thrift store yesterday.


As a side note, I think its fantastic that crafty folks such as Jessica think up neat ideas and then share them with everyone else (for free!). So if you decide that this printout would look good in your home, leave her a comment and let her know you appreciate it.

And as another side note, I am just now getting comfortable with the idea that I like to craft. It used to make me feel either a) old or b) lame. Which is silly - I realize that. I'm trying to grow as a person, and being able to say "I like crafts!" out loud makes me feel like I'm growing. I am not alone in the "I try to embrace my crafty self in ways that do not make me feel old/lame" movement, as evidenced by my new hero Kelle in this post.

Barley always knows when something is going on in the kitchen, and she snoozes in the living room until it is picture time. Even if she is grumpy about it....


Isn't she just the cutest?!

2 comments:

  1. Those cookies look divine! And I love that little craft. So simple yet lovely! (I need to stop visiting your blog when I'm hungry. I NOW NEED COOKIES!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barley is probably the cutest dog I've seen in a long time. I love that she hangs out with you in the kitchen!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...