Pages

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Mango Lassi

There are some foods that are second nature to us - we know their tastes, textures and smells. We've been eating them since we were little, and cooking them feels like home. We don't remember the first time we ate them, because they are part of our makeup and scream comfort (hence the term, comfort food). For me: mashed potatoes, macaroni and cheese, shepards pie, pancakes and lasagna.

But then there are those foods where we can remember our introduction to them with acuity. We remember the first time we ate them, where we were and who we were with. For me: Mango Lassi!!!

A mango lassi is an Indian drink made of yogurt and mango, and is quite possibly the most refreshing drink ever created. It is thick, creamy (yet still light), and fantastically delicious. I hadn't though of making one on my own even though I love them so much, but today I saw my lonely mango sitting in the fruit bowl and knew that nothing would be more refreshing.

I used this recipe, and it turned out fantastic (I halved the recipe and didn't use quite as much sugar).



This has really made me think about the recipes in my rotation. While I love my old standbys - stir fry, pasta, eggplant parmesan, ratatouille - I know that I need to branch out a little bit. The mango lassi took almost no time at all and was so easy, so there is no reason I shouldn't have tried it before. From now on I'm going to note the foods that I really love - and go after them with gusto in the Robison Kitchen....

And since we've been discussing all things Home, let me post one of my favorite songs (thanks for the link Amelia!).



PS. I served up my lassi with a side of blueberries. Can you say heaven?

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the idea! I've had those "one lone mango on my counter top" moments and this would be great the next time!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...