Pages

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Travel Break: Conflict Kitchen

For this Wednesday's Travel Break, we go to a place I have never been, but that I like the idea of very much. Last week I read a story on NPR about a restaurant in Pittsburgh (the Conflict Kitchen) that only serves recipes from countries that the US is in conflict with. Read all about that here. I absolutely adore this idea for several reasons. First, though Italian and Mexican food is lovely, I know that there are other countries out there that have good food as well. And being the foodie that I am, of course I want to experience those flavors. Second, we tend to focus only on the negative aspects of other countries (such as Iran, Afghanistan and North Korea), even though learning about their cultures, traditions and delicious recipes(!!) would probably add a bit of delight to all of our lives. Point being: judge people from other countries based on their government just as much as you'd want people from other countries to judge you on your government (past or present). That's a bit of a poorly crafted sentence, but I sense through the computer that you catch my drift.

Anywho, I sure do hope I get to Pittsburgh soon so that I can try out a kubideh for myself.

In fact, I just had a light bulb moment of my own, and I think I'll be making my very own conflict kitchen-esq recipes very soon. Stay tuned!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...