Pages

Sunday, June 6, 2010

blueberries

Last night my future sister-in-law invited me to dinner, and since I was so lazy yesterday I didn't even make a side (so unlike me I know!). Instead I went to the grocery store to pick up some brie and crackers. Upon entering the store, I spied something that gave me intense and immediate joy: blueberries! Blueberries are my absolute favorite fruit, and with good reason: those little round morsels of delicious sugary refreshing goodness are unmatched by any fruit I have ever tasted in my life.


 Raking low bush blueberries (the sort grown in Maine) is back-breaking work. The technique has not changed much since 1930, and if you would like to see footage of men raking blueberries back in the day watch the little video at this link: http://www.mainememory.net/bin/Detail?ln=26522

I especially love the reference to the housewife about 3/4 of the way through the video. Maybe the method for raking blueberries hasn't changed much, but thank goodness our treatment of women has!

Well I'm keeping this one short because I've got to get all packed up and ready to go to Pawley's Island, SC for the week. I'll be updating from there, so be sure to check back for breathtaking sunset pics, yummy recipes, and of course random musings about this southern land that I now call home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...