Pages

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Can I get some cheese with that?

Asparagus, Leek and Barley Risotto

1 T extra virgin olive oil
2 cups thins sliced leeks, white and light green parts
1/2 cup green onions, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
salt
1 cup barley (I used quick cooking)*
1/2 cup cooking sherry wine
3.5 cups vegetable stock (you can also use store bought)
1/2 pound asparagus
1 cup green peas, fresh or frozen
1 t lemon juice
Black pepper

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Warm the olive oil in a pot. Add leaks, garlic, green onions, a little salt, and saute until softened. Add the barley and the wine, simmer until the wine has evaporated. Add the stock and 1/4 t salt and bring to a boil. Cover the pot and put in the oven for about 20 minutes (or one hour if you are not using quick-cooking oats).

Meanwhile, remove the hard ends of the asparagus and chop asparagus into 1 inch pieces. Steam the asparagus and the peas until tender. Remove the pot from the oven and stir in the lemon juice, black pepper and steamed veggies.

This dish would have been better if I had added the suggested 1/2 cup parmesan cheese and 1 T butter, but being that I'm trying to revamp my diet I didn't add them. But you should!! Instead, I added a few tomatoes to the side, which was yummy enough for me!


*If you are not using quick cooking barley, leave the pot in the oven for about an hour, until liquid is absorbed.

And whats in store for tomorrow? I'll leave that a surprise, but your hint is that I will be soaking some black beans overnight. That can mean one thing....... delicious!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...