Pages

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

improvising: something new and something tried and true

This evening I decided to whip up another batch of Summer Barley Salad, but I needed to come up with something to go with it. Not thrilled with the idea of driving to the grocery store, I decided to scrounge in my cupboards and throw something together. I found some spinach spaghetti in my freezer (I buy it fresh so it needs to be eaten within a couple of days or be frozen), and decided to make that and throw a little red sauce on it.

Looking through the cupboards revealed approximately zero bottles of marinara sauce (a travesty!), so I thought of my alternatives. I nixed the idea of eating sauceless spaghetti right away, so said a quick prayer and mustered up the courage to try my hand at homemade alfredo sauce. Oh I've made alfredo sauce before, but never with skim milk (all I had on hand). Jumping in with both feet, here's how it went down:

1/4 cup butter
1 cup skim milk
1 T flour
salt and pepper
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
spinach spaghetti
capers (and a little caper juice for fun)

Heat the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. After it is melted, add the milk. Make sure that you watch the milk closely. If it gets too hot, it'll boil over and may burn. After stirring the milk and butter together for about five minutes, it didn't seem to be thickening so I added the flour. This just created clumps of flour in my sauce, but in the long run I do think it helped. After a few more minutes I became impatient and added the cheese. Jackpot! The sauce really thickened up nicely, and after a few more minutes (and the addition of some salt and pepper) I poured it all over my spaghetti (fully cooked and drained). I threw in a few tablespoons of capers (and some of the juice), stirred it all together and called it dinner.

The spaghetti and the barley salad were quite yummy together, but honestly I'm just super thrilled that I was able to make a nice creamy sauce with skim milk.

Yum!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...