Pages

Thursday, October 7, 2010

clutch revamped

A few weeks ago, I saw a post on paper n stitch that really caught my eye. You see, I also had a clutch that looks very similar to the before picture on the post listed above (without the nice beading at the top).



Of course, my clutch is not near as glam as the paper n stitch one, but it still needed an update. I'm not sure why I bought a silver clutch (probably to match one specific dress for one specific event), but silver is not really my thing and without a makeover it was going to go to the goodwill pile.

I really wanted to snag the Jacquard high bonding textile paint that was used on the original, but after asking around at Hobby Lobby it was nowhere to be found (they didn't have any brand of high bonding textile paint). They suggested that I use some fabric paint (I brought the clutch in with me so that I could get a recommendation - a super great idea if you're a novice like me). I really really liked how my inspiration piece turned out, so wanted to get a brown paint as well. I settled on this Scribbles 3D paint in Golden Brown. It was only .99 cents! I wasn't sure how this project was going to go, but the price tag only made me more enthusiastic about getting crafty. I also purchased a set of paint brushes for about 5 bucks.



I was actually doing this the night before I left for Turkey, so I took some liberties with the directions to speed things up a bit (I wanted to take it with me because I thought the new brown would go with the dress I was going to wear at my friends wedding). The night before I put a coat on the entire clutch, and a couple hours later added a second coat.



I should have washed the clutch the next day, but as I mentioned I was trying to high tail it out of the US and didn't take time to do so. Sooooo the clutch smelled like paint a little bit, but it wasn't too bad (I did wipe it down with a wet paper towel to give it a "quick wash" before sticking it in my suitcase).



My "after" pictures aren't near as glam as the ones that inspired me, but it sure does beat that 1980s silver that I started with! This brown is also perfect for fall, and I think it will look cute jazzing up a pair of jeans and a white long-sleeved shirt.....

As an added bonus, I'm super psyched to try my hand at other fabric painting crafts. Score one for self-confidence in the DIY arena!!

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...